February 2, 2010

trouble in paradise


there is trouble in our household
we have pleasant days together
schedules run smoothly throughout the day
and then in the evenings
we put the kids to bed
and enjoy some time together
before going to bed
sounds great right?
but then sometime in the night
one of our children wakes up
and that typically wakes the other up
and in the last 2 weeks or so
there has been an extra little body in our queen size bed
or sometimes two
of course one of them was sick
and now the other
so that makes it hard to not help them
we keep trying different things but the bottom line is
a) we need a king size bed
b) we need to lock noah in his room
c) i'm going to kill someone
last night to make matters worse michael put the baby gate up in front of our room
but since we discovered the night before that noah can climb it
michael raised it like 6 inches off the ground
and in the middle of the night i forgot it was there
even though it was open
and i kicked the bottom that was 6 inches off the ground
and yelled to michael that it was a stupid idea
and that i was going to kill him
see the trouble is, i don't actually want to kill anyone
but this pregnant body just isn't getting enough sleep
any advice?

9 comments:

Kirsten said...

Does it work to explain to Noah that Mommy needs her sleep, otherwise she gets very cranky, etc. That's what we had to do with our little guy and it works most the time. I'm so sorry that you're sleep deprived. That's one of the worst feelings in the world, in my opinion. If I think of anything I'll let you know. But hopefully someone will have some good advice for you! Good luck!

Brian said...

You know, that storage closet could be nice and cozy - it even comes with a lock free of charge!! ;) hehe

Mike and Jennie said...

I just laughed out loud when I read this. That is probably not helpful but they do say laughter is the best medicine so...

I hope you can get some sleep soon and I hear you on the King size bed.

Allen said...

NOT murder

Debbie Olson said...

I'm with Jennie. everything your write makes me laugh! I love you guys!

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

My parents used to make us sleep on the floor - so we wouldn't be in their bed. If we had a bad dream or whatever - we'd drag our blanket and pillow in their room, and my mom would lay a blanket down for us to lay on {next to her side}. It worked well for me and my older sister, but she gave in with my little sister, and she was in my parent's bed until she was almost 9.... :[

miriam said...

as long as ruby is in her kennel instead of our bed (which I am totally putting my foot down from now on. Garrett.) you can come sleep in our bed with us. it's a king size.
I say mean things to Garrett as I'm crawling over him (because there is a kennel preventing me from climbing out my own side) to let Ruby out to go potty at all hours of the morning. lucky for me, he doesn't remember.
I am not a real parent, so I have no advise to give. sorry.

Burkulater said...

Oh, I feel your pain! We went through all that and decided to get each kid one of those fold out couches...the ones that turn into beds. They call them their "special beds." We keep them in our room, one on each side of the bed. If they're scared or sick, they can come and sleep in that bed in the middle of the night. They have to go to bed in their own beds, though. It worked for us. Good luck! Sleep deprivation is so tough!

Grandma said...

There is nothing worse than sleep deprivation. This too will pass?