September 3, 2013

should we find out what we're having?

michael and i wanted to wait to find out what we were having with eleanor
but decided not to when realizing how unprepared we were if it was a boy
now that we're expecting again we've been totally sure we wouldn't find out
...then i started getting cold feet when both
my mom and michael's told us they didn't think we could/should wait
but michael was still strong
then i started to get more set on not finding out and michael started to waver and hasn't been as set
i hadn't really thought of how it would affect the kids
so i asked noah and hazel this morning (separately) and they each said they don't want to wait
noah even said he'd prefer that we show up at his school once we know
bearing either pink or blue balloons and treats like we did last time we told him he was getting another sister
noah realllly wants a brother
who can blame him?
and it might be a little disappointing for him to wait until the baby is born
if he's expecting a boy and it's another girl
so....i don't know
most of our logic of waiting was that it would give us some excitement 
even though we'll have a planned c-section this time
but really, there will be a lot of excitement no matter what
will the baby have hair? light hair like eleanor or dark hair like olive?
oh who knows! 
plus the main reason i want to know is to buy cute baby clothes
but michael assured me if we wait we can save some money to buy clothes once 
the baby is here
but then we went to the gap the other day.....
and the baby clothes are sooo cute so it just makes me want to know!
what should we do?!

9 comments:

Grandma Olson said...

Find out so that Grandma can plan :)

Unknown said...

It is still exciting and a surprise when you find out during the ultrasound :)

But then I am not the most patient person when it comes to exciting things!

Marilou said...

I have always said you can be surprised at either point in time, but with finding out earlier you can be prepared. Why put the extra stress of finding everything you want for the baby on top of actually having the baby?

Molly Jo Stark said...

As someone who has done it both ways I think there are pros and cons to each experience. Waiting to find out was probably the neatest experience of my life. A type of surprise that you can never really have any other way. So so neat and I will probably do it again.
Although it took a bit longer (a day or two) to feel the connection that I felt with Gianna (maybe because I was SO sure Evelyn was a boy). And yes, we had to shop for clothes after she was born. And decorate her little space after she was born. But I think the surprise was well worth the extra couple of days of non-girly stuff.

Natalie Smith said...

I couldn't wait...I am a planner and need to know...haha.

miriam said...

I've always thought it would be fun to wait, but Garrett wants to know, and it's seriously the only thing he has an opinion about when it comes to babies. Plus, in the ultrasound, even if they don't stop to look, if that part shows up I can't help but look. I would have known both were girls even if they didn't tell me, but I wouldn't be 100% sure and it would drive me crazy. Either way, you're having a baby! Hooray!

Monica said...

I think it's great to find out early! Especially since you have so many little ones to prepare for their new sibling. It will allow them to get used to the idea of this new little person entering their family. That's my two cents!

Diane Evans said...

Yes, I agree that it is important to find out early if the baby is a boy or a girl. Suppose it is a girl and Noah is disappointed. Wouldn't you rather he get over his disappointment BEFORE the baby comes? I knew someone several years ago whose 10-year-old daughter actually had a temper tantrum when she found out mom was having a boy. She got over it by the time the baby was born, so he never felt anything but love from his big sister. :)

Kristin said...

You're so funny. I have no opinion, but just wanted to let you know I'm still excited for you! :)