February 26, 2013

thoughts on phases

last night in bed i was thinking
about phases of my life
about how i've changed and grown
i could categorize these phases geographically
where i was living at each of these phases
kent, vancouver, kent, port angeles, kent, pullman, utah
i could base it off major life changes
like married, divorced, child, married, child, child, child
 i was thinking of my own childhood
as the youngest child of six
to busy working parents
who wanted us to raise ourselves
find our own food, make our own choices
how i went from wanting to fit in to wanting to be an individual
then in my naivety i got married when i was 17
and how i went from being an independent person 
to one of two people in a relationship
the one who didn't know about the constant lying
or the cheating, the stealing, or addictions
i was the depressed and confused one 
who just didn't know what was going on 
the one who was always wrong
and hurt and miserable
in this phase i shaved my head, i got tattoos, i drank,
i smoked, if i'd been offered drugs i surely would have quickly 
grown attached
in this phase i eventually found my own way
i had to hit rock bottom, want to die
there i found my testimony of Jesus Christ 
with or without my other half
then eventually i was to become a mother
we were expecting a baby
and i had to make the decision to be a single mom
i knew in my heart that i could do it better alone
than we could do it together
this was a phase of independence
i was hurt, alone, and yet strong
i got through
not to say it was easy by any means
i still wanted to die
i was confused how my life had got to this point
then i met michael and he listened and wanted to understand
we got married
and there was a phase of healing
i had to let go of unhealthy marriage habits
start over, in a way
and learn to trust
i learned to share the process of carrying a baby
and having a family with someone
something i only knew how to do by myself
michael was patient
even through my yelling, my fighting, my healing
he expected it and let it pass
then we moved away from the place where we grew up
we moved away to the middle of no where
so he could go to school
and it turned out to be the key to my healing
we started over by ourselves
we grew closer than ever before
and had two more babies
 now we've moved again
and i don't know what phase this is
i suppose we'll see how we change and grow here
i didn't like utah at all when we moved here
but it's growing on me
i don't want to settle here
 but i am sure we'll miss it when we're gone
i am getting a little excited for the "done with school" phase

11 comments:

Shirley said...

You have done remarkably well with your life. You are a wonderful, loving person. You are the kind of person who can meet any challenge you might have. I admire you and Michael too.

leighmichellec said...

Amazing and brave! Wonderful post :)

Unknown said...

I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't want to live in Utah forever, those people are few and far between. But you are right, it does grow on you, I just don't think it grows on you enough to stay, and perhaps thats a good thing!

Natalie Smith said...

Your story is amazing. You are amazing. Thank you for being open and sharing. You have the light of Christ in you and your family. You are in a great phase of life right now....enjoy it!

miriam said...

you are awesome. I'm glad we're friends.

and I think living in pullman with no place to go makes utah more exciting probably. you moved the right direction. me? we moved and now I'd gladly go back to pullman with so many places to go :)

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

I've gone through similar phases myself. I'm so grateful that we keep evolving, and changing, and learning what we don't want to be. I'm glad you found a supportive husband, who has been there for you. Such a blessing!
LOL we need to swap tattoo stories! Yikes! Thank goodness mine are on my back, so I don't have to be reminded of them everyday! Boo! xP

Dawn said...

Even though I'm old compared to you, I have looked up to you since I met you. Thank you for being you and for inspiring so many of us!!!

chelseyandmatt said...

You're amazing!! I miss you and your amazing spirit!

andre'a said...

French, so special. It's so intuitive of Michael to know to be gentle with you, to expect and allow you to heal through so many of life's curves. You are so worthwhile. I sure love you.

Aimee said...

You are so amazing as many people have said. Your honesty and truth of who you are and what you expect of no one but yourself is inspiring. I am happy that our paths have crossed and I am able to see and read your thoughts...

Kelli Dixon said...

I have always admired you, Rachael. Thanks for sharing this, you are such an amazing person. So glad I had the chance to get to know you!