May 1, 2009

project settee

last weekend we went to a garage sale
where we spotted this settee
it was broken but totally cool and a complete antique 
it even has mother of pearl inlays!
so we asked about it and the couple was glad to find that we were interested in it
so they gave it to us for free
after an awkward drive home 
(it in the front seat, michael driving, me in between the kids in the back)
we got it home
and...we've been working on it ever since
here's how it started out
the whole arm was broken off but they had most of the pieces so we (michael)
went to work with some wood glue and wood filler
and pretty well fixed it
michael had to make the a bench for the inside out of a piece of wood
and a jig saw
and tried to make it fit perfectly
he's still not completely happy with how it fits so we're not "done"
he's a perfectionist----i'm not
i convinced him it was time to upholster it
so...............
this is the fabric we decided on
kind of modern and bold so stand out 
but still looks good with it
ta da
isn't it gorgeous!?
we love it

18 comments:

Daniel, Sara, Dmitri & Paige said...

Love it! You seriously have the best finds! :D

Dawn said...

You guys could totally do your own tv show. Call it something like "Junk to Jewels" or something like that. I'm super impressed!

Unknown said...

holy hannah that is darling!!! yeah - i have a severe desire to steal that...

Measure said...

that was so cute. you are so crafty

Laurel said...

Wow, what a difference! It looks great!

Kelsey Danielle said...

Love it! You are amazing!! I haven't checked blogs in like 2 days... been super busy but glad to see your projects!

aurora deason said...

i am very impressed. that looks amazing.

Brianne Pitts-Wells said...

It is really cool. Love the shape and the fabric. You are super busy ...

Natalie Smith said...

Rachael,
Hey it's Natalie (Pike) Smith! I love to keep tabs on your little family. Send me over your email address and I will get you access to our blog.

Natalie
nataliesmith_is@yahoo.com

Sara Sue said...

OMGosh!!! I LOVE IT!!!

andre'a said...

Frenchie, that magic golden garage sale! If I'd been there....man, I didn't even know what a settee was! If I'd been there, I'd have passed it by. You guys are amazing!

andre'a said...

Love the kissing pic!

andre'a said...

i could do that. easy.

andre'a said...

shut up.

andre'a said...

just kidding, you know that I'm not good with my hands or patient or anything.

You're AMAZING!

andre'a said...

p.s.) why is my blog near the bottom of your list? is this in priority order?

andre'a said...

love u!

Youngs said...

looks fabulous - you've done it again girlfriend! P.S. it's time for another get-together, for sure.