March 24, 2009

i am who i am

since high school
or maybe earlier
people have been asking me
what i am
as in
where i'm from
i've been asked if i'm
egyptian
from somewhere exotic
italian
arabic/middle eastern
an eskimo
i told a girl in beauty school i was half black and she believed me
today someone asked me if i'm from equador
frequently people start speaking to me in spanish
and i have to explain (in english) i don't understand
despite my looks
and a year or two of spanish classes
not that i mind
i just hate to disappoint
by telling everyone i'm from washington
as are my parents
and i have distant ancestors from Spain
and some Native American blood in me
but nothing too exotic or recent
so, do me a favor
tell your friends
i'm just a caucasion girl
that looks a lot like i'm from somewhere else

5 comments:

Aimee said...

You are so funny. I had one of my friends convinced that I was adopted when I was younger. It was more because she didn't believe that I came from the family I was "living" with. I told her the truth, but it was too easy.

Laurel said...

lol. I wish I looked exotic! Lucky.

Kelsey Danielle said...

so I think we need to find a time to go together to the thrift store and buy pillow cases and then make these...http://www.jenleheny.com/pillowcase-dress-instructions
I think it would be sooo fun! let me know

Brianne Pitts-Wells said...

I have never been asked if I am eskimo and I actually am. You are lucky. And very pretty

andre'a said...

what? i'm so confused. I mean, estoy muy confundida.