December 27, 2008

sewing lessons



I think I need some. Sewing lessons that is. I thought I'd be brave and use some of the clothes the kids have outgrown to play around with my machine today. It went ok but not great. I have the wrong "foot" on my machine and don't seem to own the right one. Mine would work great if I were quilting. But since I don't know how to quilt it doesn't do me much good to have the wrong foot on my machine. I made a couple of little pillows for the kids to take in the car and a couple of balls for Hazel to play with. I even converted one of my ill-fitting shirts into a dress for Hazel. It's a little too small so we'll have to save it for the next lucky girl who joins our family. The worst thing about sewing today was letting the needle run through my thumb. It hurt a bit. I enjoy handmade things but maybe it's better if they're not made by these hands.

4 comments:

Janet said...

How did you run the needle over your thumb? that would be a pretty neat and difficult trick. I thought the picture of the little dress was cute. You are doing great with creative sewing. I only sew curtains and pillows.

andre'a said...

Frenchie, I am SOOO SORRY about your thumb! I remember once when I was in second grade I brought a little hand-held stapler with me and started playing with it during classtime. It was the first day of Mrs. Roe's class and I totally pierced my thumb. It hurt so bad!

By the way, not fo nothin Connie, but that is a very good look for you. You're an awesome seamstress! You're good at everything you try.

love you!!!

Monica said...

Aren't you crafty!!! I'm so impressed with your handiwomaness. I think people are always more critical of their own creations, but I don't blame you if you don't want to pick it up again to save your thumb. Your pillows, balls, and dress look great!

Laurel said...

That dress is adorable! I couldn't sew to save my life. Hope your thumb feels better soon!